Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Mel Phleg

In the recent years I have became exposed to the knowledge of temperaments. The strength and weaknesses of each and after doing a million and one tests realized I can categorically place myself as a Melancholic (primary temperament) and phlegmatic (the secondary temperament). Where I’m I going with this story? I was trying to understand why I can never really get stuff done. I am very keen on planning and putting up structures but then my flip side will wake up and say, I will do this tomorrow. Tomorrow never comes; that’s like a no brainer.
Melancholics are considered very analytical people and this helps when I plan things but procrastination is a trait found across the temperaments due to a few reasons. The choleric will procrastinate if he can’t control the situation, the sanguine if he terms the task mundane, the melancholic due to perfectionist tendencies and the phlegmatic just because of laziness. Based on the above, I procrastinate due to the last two reasons. A friend of mine told me the best way is to concentrate on the task at hand and complete it blocking out all negativity to not complete it.
The good book says in Ecclesiastes 3: 1 "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven". Temperaments are to help us understand our weakness and strengths to become better people by using our strengths wisely and learning to handle our weaknesses not making excuses because of them.
It doesn’t matter whether you feel lazy,trying to perfect it, can’t control it or the task is mundane; is it its season to be done? Then it’s got to be done!

Ref: http://personal-work-habits.suite101.com/article.cfm/procrastinaion_and_personality

No comments:

Post a Comment