Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Big Box

It’s amazing what one can learn from watching television. Yes. The child has totally flipped and is learning life changing lessons from TV. I sat down and asked myself why I was totally consumed and addicted to the big box. As I was thinking it through one of my friends suggested to me that it’s because we sometimes identify with the characters that are portrayed on the various programs. I am sure there are other reasons but I am going to explore this ideology.
I enjoy watching Grey’s Anatomy; Watched all 5 seasons and I am halfway through the 6th season. Which character do I identify with? Christina Yang. Her tough-competitive-get-it-done-spirit is what draws me to her. Now I am nothing like her but maybe I would love to have some of that no nonsense attitude of hers.
Other programs are: So You Think You Can Dance (SYTYCD), America’s Best Dance Crew (ABDC), Idolz, Project Runway etc. What I get from these shows is passion. The lengths to which people go out to achieve their dreams, whether it’s a winning a singing contract or a clothing line, they push it till they get it. PASSION.
So is it fair to watch people accomplish their own dreams while I vegetate on the couch, gain calories and get nothing done? I think not. Therefore my next mission is to watch less and less of the Big Box. I can’t entirely eradicate it, it does offer some form of entertainment but I shall dedicate more time to growth of self, giving back to society and developing my relationships with others. Life outside the big box!

Life through Samara’s eyes.

2 comments:

  1. Life outside the big box. Nice one. It would seem that even though the pop version of that expression is thinking outside the box, your amendment seems less cliche and more pragmatic. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) Thanks jolly lot anonymous. It's somehow working out!

    ReplyDelete